Sunday 25 January 2009

How to install Windows 3.1 on a Virtual PC

How to install Windows 3.1 on a virtual machine using VirtualBox.

vetusware.com has a lot of these files, but they're only really useful if you have a floppy drive. I would recommend just torrenting an .iso file. For someone like me, who actually owns the disks, but has no floppy drive, this is the easiest way. Windows 3.1 is technically abandonware, so I'm pretty sure it's legal to download... DOS is under the GNU GPL (kind of ironic, right?) so that's not a problem...

For anyone interested in the screen capture program I used it's called iShowU HD, it's very simple to use.

Author: spaceba11one
Link...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd mention that Microsoft has never released the copyright on any versions of Windows or MS-DOS, so it's not even technically legal to download Windows 1.01 and MS-DOS 3.2. Just one of those quirks of the law. Not that that hasn't prevented me from playing with some old stuff...
(The gpl'd Freedos is not related to MS-DOS)